What Are The Common Sewing Machine Problems?
Sewing is a hobby that drives the passion for designing beautiful and unique fabrics. Sewing with confidence can provide you immense profit. You invest your precious time and resources but their many reasons behind the improper functioning of your sewing machine. All experts and beginners don’t know what are the common sewing machine problems? For designing or stitching beautiful clothes your sewing machine and fabric should go hand in hand together. If you are at a beginner level then you can use the best sewing machine for under 50 dollars. You can learn how to stitch or improve your stitching techniques.
5 Common Sewing Machine Problems
The first piece of advice is to check the manual when you face a problem. Manuals can solve your problem without taking your sewing machine for expensive repairs. There are times when a small problem can cause your sewing machine to go on lockout.
These are some common sewing machine problems
- Wrinkling of fabric when stitching
- Broken needles
- Feed Dogs Not Working Properly
- Breaking of threads
- Skipping of Stitches
What Are The Causes Of Common Problems
Many beginners and experts fantasize about stitching beautiful clothes but common problems arise that hampers the stitching process. We have found an easy fix for common sewing machine problems. Let’s get started without beating around the bush.
1. Wrinkling Of Fabric While Stitching
When your thread bunches up or piles up lead to improper functioning of the thread. You will see the thread lumps and twists on your machine and fabric that make you frustrated. Usually, this occurs around the bobby pin area that leads to complete blockage of the sewing machine.
2. Broken needles
Broken needles or bent needles are the most terrific problem that is faced by professionals and beginners. Thread wrapping seems to be the common cause of breaking needles. Pulling the thread roughly will hit the throat plate of the sewing machine causing huge damage. The sewing needle is too small and can sew only two layers for basic pieces. But when you are sewing for a long project then you require multiple layers.
3. Feed Dogs Not Working Properly
Feed dogs are set in up positions to provide a solid grip to fabrics. There are some factors that you need to take care of when your feed dogs don’t work. Some machines provide stitch length according to your needs but some do not. Setting a high stitch length that is not compatible with your sewing machine makes improper functioning of feed dogs.
4. Breaking of threads
The breakage of the thread at a regular interval breaks your flow that is quite annoying. The possibility is improper threading of the upper thread. You must be unaware of the machine but the setting of the upper thread is slightly different.
5. Skipping Of Stitches
The major problem of skipping stitches is caused due to the thread or needle. The thread, needle, and stitches are linked together. Tilted needles lead to the skipping of stitches using a straight needle solves the problem.
Also, Read… Best Sewing Machine for Quilting Under $500
How To Prevent Sewing Machine Problems?
- To prevent damage to the sewing machine simply just remove the thread rather than pulling or losing the thread. Make sure the presser foot is not up because if it is up many sewing machines lock up the tension disk. Again place the bobbin pin correctly because this will make the sewing machine work smoothly. Also, ensure that you place both the same thread in the upper layer and the bobby pin. Remember there are different ways of sewing for different fabrics.
- The small sewing needle will not be surpassing all the layers properly. Needle clamps may be loose and hit a part of the sewing machine that may cause damage to the sewing machine. The manual tightening of needle clamps may need a bit of extra turn to stick properly. Now the advanced sewing machine’s needle is having a screwdriver slot. Make proper use of the screwdriver slot so that the needle doesn’t wiggle around. The needle hit the hook that broke the needle.
- Set appropriate stitch length according to your sewing machine for the smooth functioning of feed dogs. The thread also jams if your feed dogs don’t work. The jamming of the thread may be due to the unclean or lint feed dog area that leads to the loose grip of fabric.
- Rethread your sewing machine if you feel that the thread is not properly threaded. You have to set the different tension settings for different threads. You can test the tension setting using small pieces of fabric that do not belong to your main project.
- Keep a balance on the pressure foot while pulling the thread. Make a proper combination of thread and needle for sewing knits use a ballpoint needle. The sharp needle is preferable for sewing fabrics. The needles vary according to the type of fabric used.
How To Troubleshoot A Sewing Machine?
- Change the needle: The needle is founded as one of the easiest parts of the sewing machine. A sewing machine cannot work properly without a needle.
- Clean the machine: You should regularly clean your sewing machine after every use. It can be clean with the help of a brush.
- Check the size of the needle: The thicker the thread, the more difficult it is to insert into a small needle.
- Timely oil the machine: You should apply oil to your sewing machine timely for good maintenance. It will also provide better durability to your sewing machine.
By using these methods you can easily troubleshoot your sewing machine for better performance.
Final Thoughts:- Common Problem Of Sewing Machines
You can fix these problems on your own. The little care and cleaning make your project and sewing machine go hand in hand. You can call for a technical assistant when your feed dogs are damaged and a faulty motor. You have a quality sewing machine so don’t mind spending a few bucks. The sewing machine. If you are careful and know your machine then you can earn a lot of profit. By investing money in a project and providing the quality you can grow your business.